Last Updated: Tue 10-Oct-2023
NETBALL (JSSATIS) REGULATIONS - SOUTHERN SATIS
AGE GROUP: Girls Year 3/4 and Year 5/6
Teams consist of 7 players who take the court in identifiable positions for the beginning of a game and after a goal is scored. Players wear marked bibs to indicate their position.
In the instance of boys playing on a team, two boys can be on the court at any one time and must be in a third each.
1. Games consist of 4 equal quarters (10 minutes) with a 3 min. break between quarters and 5 mins. for halftime.
2. Players need to observe the following:
Footwork - a player may jump from the landing foot onto the other foot, but must release the ball before grounding the first landed foot.
A player may receive the ball while both feet are grounded, or jump to catch and land on both feet simultaneously, then step with either foot in any direction.
Holding the ball - a player may hold the ball for up to 3 seconds before passing or shooting it.
Defence - a defending player must be 1m away from an attacking player with the ball. A defending player may stand closer to an attacker without the ball but must not extend their arms to defend.
Playing the ball - a player cannot bounce the ball twice. If a player does not catch the ball cleanly it may be bounced once to gain possession or a bounce pass may be made to a team-mate.
Over a third - the court is divided into thirds. A ball must not be passed over a complete third without being touched by a player in that third.
Centre Pass- The centre is required to now only have one foot wholly in the centre circle.
3. Players cannot punch, kick, roll or fall onto the ball; nor play the ball while kneeling or sitting. Once the ball has been played, it cannot be replayed by the same player until the ball comes into contact with another player or the goal post.
4. All players must be onside when the umpire starts play. If a player is onside and moves into the centre third before the whistle is blown, they are breaking. The centre pass must be caught or touched in the centre third.
5. A ball bouncing on the line is considered in.
1. A free pass is awarded for the breaches mentioned in points 3,4,and 5 above.
3/4 Roster- A penalty pass (where the offending player must attempt to stand out of the play until the pass is thrown) applies for OBSTRUCTION (being too close to a player receiving the ball) or CONTACT (holding, pushing or knocking an opponent).5/6 Roster- 2. A penalty pass (where the offending player must attempt to stand out of the play until the pass is thrown unless the player passing the ball chooses to play advantage) applies for OBSTRUCTION (being too close to a player receiving the ball) or CONTACT (holding, pushing or knocking an opponent).
Players are restricted to certain areas of the court.
1. Players must wear marked positional bibs and uniforms should be almost identical (Bibs provided by school)
2. Ball Size - Year 3/4 - Size 4 and Year 5/6 - Size 5
3. Jewellery must be removed prior to the start of play. If players are unable to remove jewellery, then the jewellery must be covered and protected by suitable tape. Nails are to be kept short in length.
EACH TEAM PLAYING MUST PROVIDE A REFEREE FOR EACH MATCH OF NETBALL (2 REFS PER MATCH)
Note: The Home Team (displayed as the left-hand team in all fixtures) always carries the costs and responsibilities for hosting the game, regardless of venue.